Mt Roskill Grammar school opened in 1953 and has grown from a starting roll of 363 to over 2200 students. As a multi-cultural, co-educational school with over 200 staff the School has changed in both what it offers and the surroundings in which students are taught. This section looks at our beginnings and at some of the developments which have taken place over the last 55 years.
School Crest and Motto
The Mount Roskill Grammar School crest features the Phoenix, a mythical arabian bird, said to have lived for 5 or 6 centuries. The Phoenix burnt itself on a funeral pyre and rose again from the ashes, fresh, beautiful and renewed for another long life. The motto is "SURSUM" which is a Latin word meaning "to the heights".
Past Pupils´ Association
The Past Pupils’ Association was founded in 1957 with Mr Bob Coldham as the first President.
The Association organised a reunion in 1978 to mark 25 years at the School and again in 1993 after 40 years. An active committee led by Bruce Quedley with Patron Bob Coldham organised annual dinners from 1994 until the 50th Jubilee Celebration in 2003.
Raewyn Boerson (Committee Chairman) and Bruce Quedley (President of the Association) led the organisation of the reunion with over 1700 past pupils attending.
At the Annual General Meeting of the Past Pupils’ Association in 2004 no nominations were received for any executive position. A letter was sent to known members of the Association seeking proposals for future organisation.
When no responses were received the Association was dissolved and any remaining funds invested to provide scholarships to students through the Butler Trust.
Any enquiries about past pupil activities should be directed to the Principal.