For latest Sports News click here
News Page/Newsletter Archive
Visit our History pages to see a news page archive from previous years.
2016 Start of Year Details
School Administration Office
The School Administration Office opens on Thursday 21st January
Returning Students: Course Changes
Returning Students – 2016 course changes only:
- Year 13 – Wednesday 27th January 9.00am (in school hall)
- Year 12 – Wednesday 27th January 11.00am (in school hall)
- Year 11 – Wednesday 27th January 1.00pm (in school hall)
First School day:
Thursday 4th February 2016 Y9, Y13 and all other new students
Y9 and new students 9.40am on school main field (for Powhiri and assemblies)
Y13 9.00am in school hall for Powhiri preparation
Friday 5th February = All students
9.00 am (students to form classes)
School closed Anniversary Day – Monday 1st February
School closed Waitangi Day – Monday 8th February
All new enrolments must be completed by Tuesday 26th January for students wishing to start on 4th February.
Uniform and Stationery Shop
on Campus (access Frost Road entrance 4)
Opening hours – Jan 26th - 29th, 8.00am to 6.00pm closed Monday February 1st
Feb 2nd – 5th, 8.00am to 6.00pm; closed Monday February 8th
February 9th 8.00am to 12.00 midday; Feb 10th – 12th 8.00 to 9.00am and 3.00pm to 5.00pm.
Then the shop will return to normal term time hours
Mondays – 8.00-9.00am and 3.00 to 4.00pm; Thursdays - 8.00-9.00am and 3.00 to 4.00pm
Term Dates 2016
For Y9 and new students Thursday 4th February. For all other students Friday 5th February - Friday 15th April
Monday 2nd May - Friday 8th July
Monday 25th July - Friday 23rd September
Monday 10th October - Friday 9th December
Changes to the School Day for 2016
Over the past two years the school has been reviewing its provision of learning in the junior school and has pursued its vision to make learning in years 9 and 10 as interesting as possible and the best possible base for senior learning. This has resulted in changes to subject choices in the junior school with a deepening of learning opportunities in certain subjects and the introduction of academies in a range of areas. As part of this continuing process of strengthening learning provision we are making changes to the way the week at Roskill will look in 2016. The changes will make the times of the day simple and straightforward.
For 2016 the school will have a new timetable in which:
- There are 25 periods per week (rather than the previous 27 periods) - so no lessons will be rotated off.
- Every lesson will be 55 minutes long
- LCT— Learning Capability Time will be three times a week for 30 minutes each time (It will be more like a lesson and focusing on learning.) Everyone in the form class will be there.
- Assemblies will only be on Monday. On the first week of a two week cycle -there will be a school assembly. On the second week there will be house assemblies - strengthening the idea of the house being a ‘school within a school’.
- School will still finish at 3.10 pm ( apart from Wednesday when finish time will be 3.00pm)
- School will start a little later at 9.00 am. On Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. The expectation is that with a 9.00am start everyone has plenty of time to get ready and be on time for learning. It also means that there will be some time before school when teams or student groups might choose to meet.
- School will start on Wednesday at 9.20 ( This is to allow for Staff Professional development time before classes)
- Otherwise the school day will be the same. There will be 5 lessons, lunch will be after period 4 followed by assembly or LCT.