The sports academy program is designed to enhance individual performance and sport related skills for high achieving sportspeople. The opportunity for identified talent to train in the hours of daylight, with highly qualified coaches throughout the school year, offers these athletes the time to hone existing skills and to learn and develop a wide range of new skills. These include individual and team skills, tactics, fitness, nutrition and sports psychology. The ultimate goal for students is to work towards becoming an elite performer.
- The purpose of the Sports Academy is to achieve high performance from talented sportspeople within their specialized areas.
- A mix of practical and theoretical studies is taught. The program provides a pathway on to academic success in Sport Science and Physical Education at the senior level.
- The Sports Academy operates as a half year option subject.
The program provides both sport specific coaching and theoretical generic sports related studies with a major focus on Literacy over a 2 year period. This includes:
- Literacy – learning through sport as the medium
- Goal Setting and reflective journals
- Principles of Training
- Physiology and Anatomy
- Sport Psychology
- Diet and Nutrition
- Injury prevention
- Mentoring and Leadership
- Fitness and conditioning
- Skill development and tactical awareness
- Video Analysis (numeracy)
- Fitness studies
Basketball Academy Head Coach – Martin Windsor
Meet the Head Coach
Meet the Head Coach
Qualifications: BBNZ Coaching Level 1
Experience: I have coached at Mt Roskill Grammar since 2010 and currently coach the Senior Boys team. I have also coached U19 Auckland representative basketball.
Rationale of the Basketball Academy: I am passionate about player development and helping young people understand their capability and potential. I believe basketball can provide a place of belonging that offers stability in an important stage of life. The academy is the perfect opportunity to develop a rich culture at Year 9 and 10 that nurtures a strong mentality and work ethic and celebrates diversity.
Why I teach at MRGS?: Mt Roskill Grammar School is home for me. I have spent 15 years of my life here as a student, coach and teacher. I live in the community and care deeply about the Mount Roskill area and our families. Our diversity is unmatched and I think this provides the best place to learn and grow as a person.