The sports academy program is designed to enhance individual performance and sport related skills for high achieving sportspeople. The opportunity for identified talent to train in the hours of daylight, with highly qualified coaches throughout the school year, offers these athletes the time to hone existing skills and to learn and develop a wide range of new skills. These include individual and team skills, tactics, fitness, nutrition and sports psychology. The ultimate goal for students is to work towards becoming an elite performer.
- The purpose of the Sports Academy is to achieve high performance from talented sportspeople within their specialized areas.
- A mix of practical and theoretical studies is taught. The program provides a pathway on to academic success in Sport Science and Physical Education at the senior level.
- The Sports Academy operates as a half year option subject.
The program provides both sport specific coaching and theoretical generic sports related studies with a major focus on Literacy over a 2 year period. This includes:
- Literacy – learning through sport as the medium
- Goal Setting and reflective journals
- Principles of Training
- Physiology and Anatomy
- Sport Psychology
- Diet and Nutrition
- Injury prevention
- Mentoring and Leadership
- Fitness and conditioning
- Skill development and tactical awareness
- Video Analysis (numeracy)
- Fitness studies
Rugby Academy Head Coach – Nick Tuialii
Meet the Head Coach
Meet the Head Coach
I have coached at Auckland Secondary School level and the Divisional Team. Assistant Coach and Selector for both Northern Regions A and B. (These are now the Franchise teams Blues and Chiefs).
Coached MRGS 1st XV 1991-1996 in the 1B.
Onehunga High School 1st XV in the 1A – 1997 – 2003
MRGS 1st XV 2006-2009.
Former Chairman Auckland Secondary Schools Union.
Delegate to the NZ Secondary Schools Rugby Board.
Harriet Fulu (Rugby Academy 2019/2020)
The Rugby Academy has not only given me and other students the opportunity to learn new skills but it also provided us a supportive outlet to grow with each other. It allowed us to learn more about ourselves and what we are capable of.
I can honestly say it has been a pleasure being part of the Rugby Academy. Although we started this journey as strangers, our class became closer not only as friends but as a family. I have enjoyed every moment we spent together. I can highly recommend this academy to anyone who is willing to challenge themselves in a space where learning is taken to the heights.