The Mt Roskill Campus Māori Graduation was held recently. Congratulations to all of our Māori graduates. So proud of you all and wishing you well for the next chapter knowing that you carry our aroha with you.
Mt Roskill Grammar honoured several students at this year’s MRGS Arts and Cultural Awards.
This was a Performance Event where students showcased visual art, culture, dance, drama and music – a night where we collectively celebrated excellence and creativity.
(Below: Artwork by Jessica Fang).
The Puketāpapa Youth Board Awards celebrate the achievement of the rangatahi of Puketāpapa.
Congratulations to these Mt Roskill Grammar students who were honoured at this year’s event:
- Rangatahi Award Li’i Cowley Lupe
- Outstanding Sports Award Kalarnee Stunzer
- Role Model Award Maggie Lee
- Rainbow Award Uday Bhatia
- Kaitiakitanga Award Saakshi Hedge
Congratulations to all the students who were recognised at Mt Roskill Grammar’s Senior Prizegiving Awards held recently. The following list is a selection of some of the awardees:
- Dux Sheng Ya Wang
- Proxime Accessit Christine Fangzhi Jian
- 1st Year in 12 & The Thomas Cup for Top Year 12 Student Studying Level 2 Subjects Huthaifa Ibrahim
- 2nd in Year 12 Matthew Mitra
- 1st in Year 11 Fabian Li
- 2nd in Year 11 Coco Chen
- Best All Round Sportsman Nathan Sands
- Best All Round Sportswoman Shania Gates
- Sportsman of the Year Justin Sapoi
- Sportswoman of the Year Cheyanne Takau
- Performing Arts Award for Excellence in Performance Mele Taumoeanga
- Performing Arts Award for Leadership ‘Isope ‘Akau’ola
- Principal’s Art Award – Sponsored by Elizabeth Michael Ella Shiyu Zhao
- PhotoLife Award for the Top Overall Art Student Sharon Liang
- Philip Darragh Cup for Songwriting Josio Tiata
- Raewyn Winny Trophy for Contribution to Music – Joint Award Joel Hawthorne
- Raewyn Winny Trophy for Contribution to Music – Joint Award Max Noller
- The Most Progress in Senior Solo Music Performance Akuila Fakatoumafi
- Mana Taiohi Leadership in Kapa Haka – Joint Award Bronson Aramoana
- Mana Taiohi Leadership in Kapa Haka – Joint Award Alix Taku-Bedwell
- Marilyn Toi Trophy for Karanga Alix Taku-Bedwell
- Te Iwi Ngaro Trophy for Best All Round Senior Maori Student Kate Bonnici
- Manawa Titi for Perseverance Bianca Bryan
- Mana Wairua Trophy for Spiritual Strength Jelena Faleafaga
- Taiohi Matataki Trophy for Overcoming Challenges Jarese Sturgeon Wilson
- Whaikorero (Roimata Kaaka Trophy) Levi Ahlquist
- Bowden Trophy for Strength with Dignity Mandela Takaa
- Chris Hassan Memorial Trophy for Leadership in Year 12 Zach Alaimoana
- Fisher-Maher Peer Mentor of the Year Award – Joint Award Kaitlyn Booth
- Fisher-Maher Peer Mentor of the Year Award – Joint Award Fahad Shehzad
- International Student Award Christine Fangzhi Jian
- Leslie Gunson Award for the Student who gains the Highest Overall Marks in NCEA Level 1 in 2018 Huthaifa Ibrahim
- Lions Community Spirit Award Rishi Shukla
- Margaret Hoogendoorn Trophy for Exceptional Leadership in Student Services Ishita Dwivedi
- Mintram Cup for Academic Excellence Wei Liang Jian
- PSSP Cup for Leadership in the Peer Sexuality Support Programme Sonam Bagwe
- Senior Library Award Ben Hyland
- The Jennifer Heath Classics Cup Wanya Ansari
- Transition Prize Saaliha Khan
- YWCA Future Leader Award Latika Syed Niyamathullah
- Shaun Thomas Cup for the Most Potential in Catering & Hospitality Tom Ashworth
- The Lawrence Trophy for Excellence in Level 2 Physical Sciences Chea Long Koy
- Senior Speech Trophy Lauren van Laarhoven-Hargreaves
- Lubeck Memorial Prize for 1st in Level 3 Physics Sheng-Ya Wang
- Lacy Cup for Senior Literature Eleasha White
- Parmar Cup for Academic Excellence in Level 2 Sciences Jasper Yang
- Faculty of Arts Award Eurodias Yong
- Saththiananthan Cup for Inspirational Leadership ‘Isope ‘Akau’ola
- Soma Family Award for Character & Excellence Kate Bonnici
- Mt Roskill Rotoract Cup for Integrity, Honesty & Service Jenice Kuzhikombil
- MRGS Trophy for Qualities of Character Niharika Mandadi
- Ross Hamilton Trophy for Pursuit of Excellence Sarah McKenzie
- Gipps Trophy for Previously Unheralded Endeavour Tayla Pennell Tupou
- Lewis Cup for Dedication, Leadership & Humility Fahad Shehzad
- Cruze Cup for Inspiration & Commitment Ala Vailala
- Sursum Foundation – Keith Hall Scholarship Lute Mafi
- Sursum Foundation – Keith Hall Scholarship Saimone Helu
- University of Auckland Academic Potential Scholarship Jabez Zeleke
- University of Auckland Academic Potential Scholarship Youxiang Lei
- University of Auckland Academic Potential Scholarship Kevin Wu
- University of Auckland Faculty of Business and Economics Entry Level Undergraduate Scholarship Daniel Torrey
- University of Auckland Pacific Academic Excellence Scholarship Lillian Tualau
- University of Auckland Top Achiever Scholarship Pranav Rao
- University of Auckland Top Achiever Scholarship Akash Boppana
- University of Auckland Top Achiever Scholarship Sheng-Ya Wang
- AUT School Leaver Scholarship – Kiwa Glorielle Filisi
- AUT School Leaver Scholarship – New Horizons Mariam Ali
- AUT School Leaver Scholarship – New Horizons Ajit Franklin
- Crown Institute of Studies Scholarship Helen Desale
- Crown Institute of Studies Scholarship Eynna Yusuf
- UC Engineering High Achievers Award Sarah McKenzie
- University of Otago New Frontiers Excellence Entrance Scholarship Max Noller
- University of Otago 150th Entrance Scholarship Abdullah Mirza
- Enterprise Award Glorielle Filisi
- Enterprise Award Saimone Helu
- Enterprise Award Jessica Rigg
- Enterprise Award Naomi Vos
- Hay Trophy for Academic Excellence in Commerce Sangavi Shanthinathan
- Hay Trophy for Academic Excellence in Science Sheng-Ya Wang
- Hay Trophy for Academic Excellence in the Arts ‘Isope ‘Akau’ola
- Head Prefects Award ‘Isope ‘Akau’ola
- Head Prefects Award Sarah McKenzie
Tangata is a piece that has been devised and performed by Nimeti Akatere, Netane Taukiuvea, ‘Isope ‘Akau’ola (MRGS Level 3 Drama students). This presentation aims to convey mental health related themes, including dealing with depression from the male perspective. Tangata was performed at an Auckland Council Mental Health event for young people going into university, encouraging discussion and reflecting on healthy choices.
Isope, Nimeti and Netane were also invited to perform Tangata for staff and students at Massey High School.
The audience included the building class and it was amazing to see those students in their high-vis tops watching Netane give a powerful portrayal whilst in his high-vis – an incredible and teachable moment.
They will be performing on the last day of this term as part of an Auckland Council Mental Health event in the city, and at MIT to their teachers in training.
Connecting with one of our campus schools we have a number of Year 8 students meeting on Fridays after school to share in accelerated Maths learning in our MRGS Year 8 Maths club. Thanks to Miss Yang and the MRGS Maths department for their leadership of this exciting programme.
We were privileged to be a part of the Mt Roskill Primary School Waharoa opening this month – a very special occasion where we were proudly represented by several of our students.
Mt Roskill Grammar students had a great result at the Korean speech event last week. There were 13 participants in the secondary school division and 4 Mt Roskill Grammar students participated.
- Rupinderjit Kaur (Year 11) – 2nd prize
- Jackie Lu (Year 11) – Participation prize
- Lilly Mao (Year 9) – Participation prize
A nationwide Climate Change event is on Friday 27th September. Mt Roskill Grammar School is not arranging for students to participate, therefore parents and caregivers will have responsibility for any student who travels to the event.
Students who would like to attend will need to have written parental permission given to the attendance officer, ideally the day prior or before school Friday, so that she can arrange relevant passes to leave school ahead of time.